Thursday, September 8, 2022

GRITTING MY TEETH

 It's baack...the Comstock rug was put on my frame for a brief period of time as that was all I could take.  Despite my previous statement of having a 'new attitude' I've been gritting my teeth the whole time working on it.  

For you new followers/readers, I have loved this antique design and wanted to hook it for years.  The issue is that the pattern wasn't drawn by me but someone else and when I purchased it off eBay for a very low price, I  neglected to compare the drawing to the antique.  Only after I started hooking it did the disparities become evident.    Thus that quote "you get what you pay for".    

This is the most recent look and notice there's a lot more red ink where shape was changed and future changes to make it look closer to the antique.    After this post it will go back in the bag with wool and be out of eye sight until I can brave another torturous couple days.
The original antique had 8 leaves on the left side (counting from the top brown one) and the purchased pattern only had 7 as the pattern was drawn with more bulbous shaped leaves taking up space.  On the right side the leaves needed to be dropped down and also the flower lowered.  Here is the original antique.
Trash was hauled off so will need to see how much more of the pond  liner can be cut up and disposed of for next week's trash pickup.  Meanwhile and with a smile on my face will fetch the Deer pattern and put it back on my frame.  Happy hooking.

Saundra




                 

5 comments:

  1. The more I look at the original, the more I can see a lot of differences in the two patterns. For one thing, the tongues on each side are too long and on the original, there are 12 and on the eBay pattern, there are 13.

    The small tongues on the bottom are not even in number on both side.

    the small pointed vase at the bottom doesn't have the same amount of diamond shapes are the one on the eBay pattern.

    The small stems of the flowers coming out of the vase on both sides are too short on the eBay pattern.

    The pineapple flower on the eBay pattern is smaller than the original.

    Plus, the lettering isn't the same as on the original. I see and feel your frustration...

    Pull all the wool out and and you'll feel better.

    Getting rid of trash is so uplifting. Keep it up.

    Hugs,
    Julia
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa....Julia is busy pounding nails LOL. Remind me not to show her a photo of the original Welcome Cats LOL. Seriously, I do feel your pain...it almost seems like we are living parallel (hooking) lives these days. But, at least your project looks good...albeit it different from the original. I'm just so disappointed with mine...after having want to hook it for half of forever. I (somewhat) got over the pattern discrepancies, but my color plan and, even worse, my hooking leave so much to be desired. One is supposed to get better the more they hook...I seem to be getting worse with each project. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I don't know why there a repeat on Julia's hugs, lol, but they are free. The getting rid of the trash I was talking about was pond liner, lol, and not the rug, just so you know.

    So I was pounding nails was I? I guess it's the most noise I can make today since I have laryngitis and a bronchial infection.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia's comments really sent me looking, so now I better understand your frustrations. However, it still is a beautiful piece as long as one doesn't compare it to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia really noticed all the details that were different .....no wonder why you are so disappointed with this pattern . What you are doing still looks pretty .
    Hope your Turtles have found their way home ....we finally got some much needed rain ....and it is really looking like Fall here as well .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.