Thursday, February 10, 2022

Antique Rug Show

To entertain you while awaiting info on the next hook-along and the finish of the remaining participants, here are a few rugs to enjoy. 

Looking forward to spring?  Here are some bunnies ~ the auction site said it was bunnies and flowers.  Although very hard to see in all corners and the middle there are other leaves or buds so guess that is why it was named Bunnies and Flowers.  This is one time I wish they'd posted a photo of the back to see the original colors.  I've had this picture on my flash drive since 2016 and finally showing it.
Two ducks swimming under stars and moon measures 19 x 35 and no date was provided.
Why did the auction house think this was a Fish?  To me it looks like a geometric; unless they thought the fish had a tail in the front and the back.  Came from Ackworth, GA and measures 25 x 41.
Cabin on the Lake hooked on burlap 1937, you can see the date hooked in the canoe.  In the collection of Kristina Barbara Johnson, the rug measures 84.5 x 84.5 ~ one huge rug.
Bouquet of flowers in and Urn hooked in the1900's measures 30 x 39.  The scalloped edge adds more interest to the rug rather than having an oval or a plain circle.
This rug with Blue Birds was hooked with cotton (Lauren's favorite textile, lol), tap on the photo to enlarge and see the fabrics close up.  It measures 17 x 37.
Another rug hooked with cottons is this Floral with a checkerboard background.  It measures 17 x 39.  I rather like this one but no more cotton hooking for me either.
Pastel Rooster has similarities to the antique I'm working on called Blue Bowl of Flowers.  Welllll, only because of the pastel colors I guess.  This Rooster rug measures 25 x 38
Today reached 60* and tomorrow is going to be great too.  But then the bottom drops out in a few days.  Have heard rumors of rain late tomorrow evening then turning to snow.  Don't know what the result will be but my back pain and other arthritic bones know somethings happening.

Happy hooking and looking forward to showing you the other gals Granny updates next post, so stay tuned.

Saundra
 

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha... I confess: I really thought that was a fish when I first looked at it. Perhaps it's a Dr. Doolittle fish?? You know, a push-me-pull-me fish?? 🤪 Whatever it is, I think it's my favorite of this show. I do really love the cabin on the lake though.... The funky trees (although the 2 farthest back are questionable as trees...hmmm...my imagination might be getting the best of me LOL), the period car, the canoe with the date...and the wonderful technique. Very impressive. It's snowing up a storm here...but I guess it is supposed to turn to freezing rain tomorrow. Eeek... Bring on the ice. 😳😫 ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rooster rug I wish we could see the back of it. Oh that horrid cotton it just about killed my wrist pulling it in our tulip rug. We are in the 40s just beautiful but the cold from Canada is coming down and into the deep freeze starting Sunday.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome mats,,,,that cabin One! Wow big and amazing,,,
    Storming here today and back to cold,,Cold by Sunday,,,So hope to get up to my messy room to finish hooking,,,,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my grandmother's cotton floral hooked rug, from when I was a young girl. That's what got me interested in seeking lessons on how to hook rugs. They used burlap bags in those days and maybe the backing was easier to pull the cotton worms through.

    My favorite rugs are the rooster, the domino and flowers and then the cabin.

    Thanks for the rug show.
    Stay safe and well.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I think what amazes me the most is that they have them so we get to see them. My Mom's rugs were just pieces and I couldn't same them. She used them, and never thought about them being something that would be in a museum. I like that rooster one the best. I hope your day stays nice and warm just for a break. We have cold weather returning too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BUNNIES...my favorite! Thanks for sharing these wonderful rugs. Wish it was 60 here. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the rabbits! I think those almost look like jacks (the toys) which would make it a jack rabbit rug - but you already know I was warped right? 😂
    I also really like the fish/geometric one - those muted colors are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun rug show , the Cabin one is huge ! Love the canoe with the date ....I was going to hook my grand daughters hearts from their old clothes , but decided to paint wooden hearts instead !!!LOL !!!
    Is 50 here today !!! Feels great ! But tomorrow freezing cold , windy & some snow ...UGH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.