Friday, October 23, 2020

Happy Haunting and Scarecrow

A few years ago when I was into yet another craft...quilt applique I made this adorable hanging piece.  It was a pattern in some craft magazine and a design by Patrick Lose.  I love primitive and have antiques so wanted the branch as a hanger.  This still lives here because I've brought it out at Halloween some years.    
The Scarecrow quilt applique was also from some craft booklet (I think) and not sure if the piece still exists here, was sold or given as a gift previously.
 
Some of you have inquired on my poison ivy healing.  It continued to spread and get more intense and won't tell you where the areas are, suffice it to say the only place which isn't infected is my right leg.  I called my doctor Wednesday and since she is only working part time after giving birth wasn't sure when I'd hear back.  

Today I received a call from the pharmacy to pick up my prescription.  She doubled the dose of prednisone from 20 mg per day to 40 mg per day for 10 days.  The last few days with 20 mg I've had a sour stomach and not sleeping well (reactions to the drug) so now the increase will affect (effect?) those reactions as well.  But I want this poison ivy thing OVER. 

My previous doctor (retired) prescribed Cortisone pills and was the only thing which would get rid of this allergy.  Yes it is a steroid and there is, or was, a blister package of punch out pills with dosage which dwindled and weaned me off during a period of time I can't recall.  It has been years since I've had poison ivy this badly.  Maybe Cortisone isn't the wise choice today?  Don't know but if I ever get it this bad again I will suggest it to my current doctor if this double dose of Prednisone doesn't do the job either. 

Have been washing my hands well after everything (as if with covid I wasn't doing that anyway), in the morning after the shower I rub the affected areas with alcohol to dry the poison oils then apply Caladryl.  I do that same routine before bed.  Then wait until the Caladryl has dried before putting on long sleeves and long pants, then tie a kerchief around my neck because the poison ivy is still rampant there.  Each day I remove and  replace the pillow cases I use, put the clothing and towels of the day in the laundry.  

Sorry to belabor the spiel on my the poison ivy subject but think I just needed to VENT!  Thanks for being my sounding board.

Saundra

9 comments:

  1. Youre not venting..its just reality...and if no one has ever had a bad case of poision ive...well they should consider themselves vry luck.
    I dove into a pool that had the oil...unbeknownst to me...floating on top. Took a long time to heal.
    Good luck! You have my understanding and sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, saundra!!!!! So sorry for ur troubles!!!! Yikes,,,,, sounds awful!
    not nice at all!!!
    get better soon,,,,
    ps,,, love ur wall hangings,,,,,
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have it bad so very sorry you must be so uncomfortable.
    On another note I love your quilting pieces.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning. I live in the Hudson Valley of New York State, and get poison ivy almost every year no matter what the season. I've had minor cases with just a few blisters, but also trips to the emergency room. One in the middle of the night with no blisters, but my eyes swollen almost shut and my mouth becoming numb. I had been pruning thick "vines" off of my lilac bushes during the day. Boy, that sap was oozing as I cut away with my hacksaw. Dumb me! I've had good results with a product called Ivarest, and I use Vicks VapoRub for the minor itching. You smell like a sick room, but it works. For other itching too. I also rely on antihistamines for when the itching is really bad. Generic/store brands work well for me. Hope that this helps a little bit, and stay safe. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get a bad dose of miss ivy every year. Some times more than one. Part of the reason I do not like yard work. I feel bad for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you are still struggling with poison ivy ...hope you feel better soon.
    Love your cute wall hangings you made !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I thought you were over the poison ivy. Hope this new medicine works for you. Love your appliques! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quit wall hangings! You always continue to surprise me....I didn't know you did applique! Eeek on the poison ivy. I do hope the increased dosage helps....but you know, Prednisone is a steroid too....and, actually I was surprised they didn't do the dosing like you said you had for the Cortisone... Every time I have been on Prednisone, they do a gradual ween off. And, I dunno if this is an old wives' tale or what...but, my mom used to say that the poison needed air to help it dry and heal??? As I said, I used to get it very severe as a child....but they never mummy wrapped me LOL. In any event, hope you heal soon. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.