Tuesday, October 27, 2020

REBOOT

When your PC freezes up or a function stops working you 'reboot', right?  Likewise when a hooking project goes awry it makes sense to do that too.  That's what I'm doing with Old Tom.  

Yesterday I picked it up to start the binding process, it had been over a month since holding it and suddenly didn't like those colors I really great in the beginning.  Some of Tom's feathers have been plucked and will rehook them.  More wool might be pulled out later, depends on how it goes.  NOTE:  some folks thought I'd hooked the turkey white but that is with all his feathers pulled awaiting his new growth.
Thought I'd show you progress on Wooly Santa, the background and border wool.  If you scroll down to see the original version you'd notice I didn't choose a blue sky background.
Have always like the color of the plaid wool but despite having it for several years ago from a jobber in Baltimore.  Hadn't used it because it is slippery, there must be some cashmere in it.  Decided to use it anyway because it worked well with the border color.  Can't remember where that wool was purchased but now wish I had more.  The white is what was used for the sheep.  You can see a better photo of it if you scroll down thru previous posts.
It appears there really is to be a rug camp November 8th.  Which means I must get cranking to get my pattern and wool ready.  This is the design I'm going to  hook in a class with Bev Conway.  The Pattern is called New Years Eve from the artwork of Lindsay Bowles and you can get yours HERE.
NEW YEARS EVE ~ pattern to linen - hook - bind - label.

      So do I change Old Tom the list to:
OLD TOM ~ REhook - hook - bind - label?

      I still haven't changed Santa's eyes and mouth from the frown to a happy face, so do I put that on my list? 

WOOLY SANTA ~ pattern to Linen - hook, fix face - bind - label

Been thinking about this 'list' thing.  I've other projects started (star quilt about 5 years or so since I worked on it), stitchery projects in similar status as I just stumbled upon them the other day when looking for something else.  Maybe if I pulled them out where I could see them every day just seeing them would be my incentive.  

I'm  glad that lists work for Lauren, but if I felt the need to keep a project list think I'd keep it near where I work on them, put it on my fridge or pin it to a cork board in my wool room.  Makes no sense to me to need to look on my iPad to see what has to be done to what when .

One list I constantly do is my Grocery list.  I keep on the kitchen counter and put items on it when I run low or run out of something.  Sad thing is I sometimes forget to take it to the store.  So I'm going to NIX this list thing because I'm sure you'd rather I just get straight to the point and post photos and progress  instead of reviewing my list.  😉

Saundra




13 comments:

  1. What happy news your Rug Camp is On !!!! Will be great to go & see friends !!!
    Your Santa looks so nice & so does Tom Turkey , but know your changes will be even better !
    My grocery & shopping list always seem to remain on my kitchen counter ....so frustrating when you really needed that one item that is on your list & you didn't remember it !
    Have fun packing for rug camp !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just glancing at the turkey I thought you hooked it white and I thought that was pretty drastic. I think it looked great the other way and I would not have changed a thing, but you reverse MUCH more than I ever do.
    Santa is lookin' good.
    So happy camp is still a go. What a cute drawing by Lindsay. Such talent. I'm sure it will be a very sweet rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I have several versions of my "list" in various places!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newburyarts...working from a new phone. Its driving me nuts.
    Lists are great but what i have done is used large clear plastic bags and put my design and proposed wollies in ot. Next a sheet of white paper with the name of the design...and possibly a few hints on what i think about color or design points. These are now lined up along the wall in my woollie room and ready for the winter ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Newburyarts...here again.
    There was in an old Country Living magazine an article by a young woman regarding her grandmother who was a quilter. Her grandmother would use the spring and summer months to wash material, cut and piece her quilt tops so that come winter she would spend her time quilting her designs. They were fron the toronto area and this mare for a pleasant and comforting time to work in her heated basement. The memories of the yes gone by were what her grandmother would dwell upon. I was impressed with article and have brought that into the hooking world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your Tom looks awesome...but am not even sure what all you changed....I do love that background so you dang well better leave THAT alone LOL. And YES! I DO love your Santa background colors! I know I had said I liked the original but, like I also said, I don't "visualize" very well and so do not think outside of the proverbial box when it comes to color plans. I am getting better....sort of. Cathy has known me from my earliest hooking days, and she remarked the last time I was there getting wool that I have become much more "forceful" in my color planning (I think it was a polite way of saying "opinionated" or "stubborn" LOL???) I am a huge list person...but not when it comes to my "hobbies".... The projects somehow become more like "tasks" than "fun" I guess. Besides, they would scare the h#** outta me and I would have to make lists about making lists ha ha..... So glad your camp is a go....I LOVE the bear and am excited to see how you translate it to linen and wool. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay for rug camp! Will be much needed socializing with much good conversation I’m sure. Be sure to share and find some orbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I hope you get to rug camp and do it safely numbers are rising here making me nervous. I love your rugs always and yes give santa a happy face. I like working with plaids too so much texture. I like your new rug I have seen a picture of a rug I would like to hook that was a painting but I think it is beyond my skills.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Rug camp! Great!
    Santa looks so good, saundra ,,,,
    Good to do lists,,, I have started,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old Tom is adorable and your Santa looks great! I really like the colors your chose for his background. Stay safe and hunkered in I think it's going to be a long winter. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. i take a photo of my grocery list, so that as long as i remember to take my iphone with me i will have my list...Old Tom looks great, like the sky in wooly santa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha.... I actually did think you hooked it off-white and couldn't figure out GT's comment LOL. Now all I can think of is turkey skin with its feathers all plucked.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the Santa. Did you use yarn for the sheep? I am surprised you are going to have rug camp...what a fun diversion that will be after all these months. Sweet rug pattern you have chosen. I am the consummate list maker. Can’t accomplish anything without them. My main lists are on my phone and I refer to them many times daily. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.