Sunday, October 25, 2020

This, That and The Other Thing (edited)

THIS is what I'm working on now, have had this Primitive Spirit pdf pattern for years and finally decided to hook it.  As I often do, took the liberty to change something in the design.  The original has Santa holding a sack from which the small sheep is showing out of the top.  I felt that unnecessary and distracting to my eye so changed the mitten somewhat and hooked Santa in his clothing only, no sack.  

Figure the black mittens make the eye think there are legs folded under.  But I think the eyes and mouth needs a little work to make him look more happy.
Am editing the post to show you a view of the original design.  Should have done that upon doing the post yesterday.  
I'm hooking it in 8.5 and the sheep are hooked with varying sizes from #8 thru #9.  Below is the wool I'm using for the sheep and something purchased from Gail Dufresne several years ago at camp knowing it was a perfect sheep or Santa beard wool.

Santa's beard, however, is hooked with a very fuzzy white wool my pal Deb shared with me a few years ago.  I didn't take a photo of the beard wool as the fluff didn't show up, but here is a picture of the wool purchased from Gail.  
This wool is rather thick and I did hand cut a lot of it but when my hand tired of pulling wide strips of the thick wool I ran it thru my Townsend in #8.5.  It was a slow processing guiding that wool thru but made it more manageable to hook as I wasn't able to get uniform strips with hand cutting.  

THAT would be providing something Halloween for Cranky Crow's ravenous appetite.  In my sewing room I have two Halloween items hanging all year, one is yet another of Tonya Robey's handmade items.  Just love this wool Halloween stocking with the words BOO stitched near the toe.
I keep the Vintage Halloween Cat as a reminder to make a rug pattern from it.  The hanging ornament is a little worse for wear, has some bent pieces, areas taped and toes missing; but he is the only vintage Halloween item I own.
Took a photo of the back and you can see 
years ago when sold it was 10 cents, when I purchased it from the thrift store a few years ago I paid $1.
THE OTHER THING is taking a lead from Lauren (Rugs and Pugs) and make a "Project List" to monitor my accomplishments or lack of.  


    Wooly Santa ~ pattern to linen - hook - bind - label

    Old Tom ~ Hook - bind - label  😞  Sadly that task hasn't been done since the rug was hooked in September.  These are not the true colors of Tom as he isn't neon gold in person.
Okay, over and out for the day, gonna go pull more loops on my Santa this rainy day in Delaware.  Yesterday the temperature rose to 80* which is well over 10* higher than normal for this time of year and today will have a high of 56*.   Delaware is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Saundra




6 comments:

  1. Love your Santa & the way you hooked his beard & the sheep ...love the texture , looks pretty .
    Love your cute Wool Halloween stocking & neat old Cat ! What a bargain you got on him ! That would make an awesome rug someday ! And Tom Turkey is great too !
    It was 70 degrees here for the past week , but today is a cool 54 ! Delaware is like a box of chocolates , New England can be just as fickle ! Think it's time to put away shorts & short sleeve shirts !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many, many, thanks Mummy Dearest for the "fix" LOL. LOVE both the stocking and the old cat. Love Halloween...but vintage Halloween? Even better! And while I haven't seen the "original" Santa/sheep design, I like the simplicity of this...I would have never known you made the change if you hadn't said...great job of camouflaging the change...yup...the mittens do the job perfectly. I love the look of the fuzzy wool...but hooked an entire rabbit with it (on a large-for-me design) and swore never again. And, no...I haven't forgotten the pain as easily as the pain of childbirth LOL. Well, Delaware might be a box of chocolates...here there is a saying "don't like the weather? Stick around 45 minutes and it will change." Except, the past week has been horribly consisten.... Snowing as I type....GRRRRRRRR..... Hope all is well and your Prednisone is doing its job. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the same crazy weather here in southern ontario,,,70s. Down to 35!
    crazy! And tornado warnings!
    it was so humid friday ,,, was wet everywhere in the house!!
    cold now but no snow,,, yet!
    love ur santa,,, remember that. Pattern ,,, so nice,,, the change looks great,,, love sheep!
    thanks saundra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Saundra, I'm hooking the Primitive Spirit Santa too, and I like the deletion of the sack. if you are bothered, maybe you want to add a line of trim down the front of his coat to match the cuff? Oh and I'm also hooking Old Tom, which is a fun design to do in several colorways. It's great, really love the golds you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like your version of Santa better!!!
    Your vintage Halloween cat is wonderful and would make a great rug...some day...lol!
    A project list works great for me but I usually have more projects going than you do, but I hope it works for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that vintage cat. My mom had one just like this. Love your Santa too! Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.